Finding a good buyer’s agent could be the best thing for you in finding the perfect home. A great buyer’s real estate agent could very well be your best asset. You could just pick a real estate agent that is a friend or call one from a ‘For Sale’ sign but is that really your best option and how you want to get help for one of the biggest purchases in your life? Any agent can help you buy a home, finding an exclusive buyer’s agent can make a huge difference.
What’s the difference? – Find a Good Buyers Agent
To be clear, I don’t think working with a normal real estate agent is a horrible thing. In fact, that’s how most people buy a house but there is a difference between a real estate agent and exclusive buyer’s agent. Let’s look at the differences:
- An agent can represent both sides of the transaction; the buyer and the seller at the same time. Most agents are totally excited to show their listings to you so they can possibly double end the transaction. Most agents can represent both sides of the transaction but do you want to work with an agent who has a signed contract with the seller who has an obligation to get them the most amount of money for their home and on the other side the transaction says to you I’m going to get you the best possible price? It’s an oxymoron.
- An exclusive buyer’s agent only works with buyers and shows them other company’s listings because the company never lists a seller’s property and thus never has a seller as a client. They have no incentive to show you particular properties other than the one that meet your specific needs. This way there is no hidden objective and no ulterior motive to have you choose a particular home.
What should you look for in a buyer’s agent? – Find a Good Buyers Agent
The thing to look for that stands out most are just what you want in any good partnership: experience, good communication skills, respect and competence. You should be able to discover these during the first meeting or two and it is perfectly acceptable to interview two or three agents. Here are some questions to ask in your interview so you can find a good buyers agent:
- How will you negotiate for me?
- How will you represent me in the transaction?
- How long have you been selling real estate?
- Over your career how many homes of you sold?
- Will you show me your listings?
- Give me an example of how you represented a buyer?
- Is most of your business representing buyers or sellers?
Should you sign a buyer’s agreement? – Find a Good Buyers Agent
While deciding whether to Buy a Home Now or Wait in Seattle is an easier decision. There are two sides to the coin on this question about signing. By signing a buyers agreement you will have full representation from the agent and full loyalty on the other hand you will be stuck in a relationship if you decide that you can’t work with them so make sure you find a good buyers agent if you do sign. It is up to you on whether signing a buyers agreement is the best choice for you.
Advantages of working with a buyer’s agent – Find a Good Buyers Agent
Using a buyer’s agent means more than just locating your home. Your agent will also help:
- Use their experience and their knowledge about local market conditions
- Be an advocate for you throughout the home buying process
- Negotiate the best possible price and terms that are best for you
- Help prepare the right forms and protect you in the contract
- Give you advice and refer quality service companies to help throughout the buying process such as inspectors lenders escrow title and contractors
- Consult with you about the different financing options
How do I find a buyer’s agent? – Find a Good Buyers Agent
- Referral – your friends, neighbors, and relatives
- Research the Internet
- Open houses
- A neighborhood specialist
How does a buyer’s agent get paid? – Find a Good Buyers Agent
The buyer’s agent splits the commission of the sale with the listing agent. It is completely free to use their services. This is why it’s extremely important to have your own representation because there is no benefit to using the listing agent.
When should I choose my real estate agent? – Find a Good Buyers Agent
When buyers decide to buy a home most will start house hunting, searching the Internet going to open houses and the like. When they find a home that they love, they usually are in a panic mode and pick an agent that first comes to mind. This process completely takes the agent out and puts you as the expert. Unfortunately, you don’t buy very many homes in a lifetime and a great agent helps buyers and sellers buy hundreds even thousands of homes over their career. Try this process instead because these steps are the best steps to take when buying one of the most important assets of your life. Here is the sequence to consider when starting the process of buying a home:
- Find a lender
- Interview your real estate agents
- Pick your real estate agent
- Start looking at homes
There are lots of ways to buy a home but this is by far the best action plan to take in helping you purchase the right home for you at the best price. Buying a home is an exciting time but I know it can also be stressful, especially if it’s your first home. After 20+ years in the industry, it’s my pleasure to help walk my clients through finding and buying a home that’s perfect for them. Give me a call or shoot me and email today with any questions or to take that next step in getting your new home. 206.686.7525
Other resources to check out after reviewing how to find a good buyers agent:
- Search homes for sale in nearby Green Lake homes for sale, Greenwood homes for sale, & Ballard homes for sale
- Seattle Bidding War? How to Avoid Overpaying on a Home
- Check out Greater Seattle Events
Searching about how to find a good buyer’s agent and wondering how to go about buying a home in Seattle WA? It’s important you understand the home buying process in Seattle WA but also how to truly find your dream home. The above should provide helpful but if you haven’t hired a top real estate agent in Seattle WA yet to assist you with your home search, contact me, and I’d love to discuss your real estate needs further!
Dave Hanson Home Team – Exceeding Expectations – 206.686.7525 – Find a Good Buyers Agent